Ada-Java Interfacing Suite
The GNAT Ada-Java Interfacing Suite is a collection of GNAT Pro add-on tools for combining native Ada code with Java applications that run on a Java Virtual Machine (JVM). Through these tools you can call natively-compiled Ada from Java, and call Java from native Ada programs. This enterprise-oriented toolsuite lets Ada teams interoperate with companies and groups doing Java development, with an interfacing facility that is efficient and type safe.
A separate product, GNAT for the JVM, provides a complementary capability: compiling Ada directly to JVM bytecodes.
Interfacing between Ada and Java has been simplified in Ada 2005 through a number of new language features. The GNAT Ada-Java Interfacing Suite takes full advantage of these features and thus allows users to engineer standards-compliant mixed Ada/Java systems.
Smooth and efficient interfacing
- Makes Ada components available to Java developers
Makes Java classes available to Ada developers, for example:
- Java graphical interface frameworks such as SWT, Swing, and Eclipse-RCP
- The large supply of off-the-shelf Java components
Supported by standard AdaCore Integrated Development Environments
- GNAT Programming Studio (GPS)
- GNATbench Eclipse plug-in
- Allows calls from Ada to Java, and from Java to Ada
- Provides an Ada binding to the low-level Java Native Interface (JNI) library
Provides an automated and type-safe binding generator from Ada to Java
- Automates the generation of JNI “glue” code
Supports access to various Ada constructs from Java, including:
- Subprograms, types, variables, and constants
- Tagged types, with cross-language dispatching for Ada types extended in Java
- Supports exception propagation through Ada and Java frames
- Allows efficient implementation of Java native methods in Ada
Outstanding support is intrinsic to GNAT Pro and is supplied directly by AdaCore experts and the product developers themselves. Questions on all aspects of Ada and GNAT Pro are answered promptly, comprehensively, and accurately: 80% of questions and reports, many of them on the use of Ada and the GNAT Pro technology, are solved in less than a day. For details visit the Frontline Support page »